Millet & Red Lentil-Stuffed Aubergines

16:35


This time I would like to start with a few words about losing and finding the balance. Unfortunately, recently I’ve lost this (in my opinion) one of the most important things in life. How did that happen? I honestly don’t know. Somehow I stopped exercising and eating healthy. I was spending hours lying on the sofa and doing nothing. Literally nothing. I stopped reading books. I didn’t even watched TV-Series.  I have no idea what I was doing the whole time.


Contrary to popular belief, plant based diet doesn’t automatically make your eating habits healthy. Obviously, I don’t mean vegans are deficient in some nutrients. I’m talking about eating pasta with tomato sauce for almost 7 days a week. (At this point I have to say, that I love pasta with tomato sauce. I also love Oreo cookies, but I don’t consider them as a perfect base of healthy vegan diet). In my opinion every unbalanced diet is unhealthy. I used to criticise people who tend to eat that way, and unexpectedly I became this person as well. I even stopped posting the pictures of my meals on Instagram because they didn’t look attractive enough (I’m know it’s not a life drama but the aesthetic of the food was always very important to me).

The next phase of this unbalanced period was the obsessive tidying up. I spent my first (and last) holiday in this year doing laundry and cleaning. It took me whole two weeks and after this time, I came back to work not rested at all. Moreover, my flat didn’t seem to be cleaner as usual.

Eventually I felt sick and my face broke out with spots. I felt terrible. That led me to a reflection on the origins of the problem. I didn’t found them yet. I’m still looking for the reasons and, like always, I hope that this blog will help me to stick to my new plan. In order to celebrate my new start, I decided to post one of my favourite recipes for stuffed aubergine. It’s healthy and absolutely delicious! And it looks really nice as well.

 Ingredients:


  •  2 large aubergines
  • 1 cup of millet (cooked)
  • 1 cup of red lentils (cooked)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tbsp. of sweet paprika
  • 1 tsp. of chilli flakes
  • 1 tsp. of dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. of dried basil 
  • Olive oil for frying
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Slice the aubergines in half lengthways (leave the stem). Using a teaspoon, scoop out the aubergine flesh. Place the remaining ‘shells’ in a baking dish brushed with a little of the oil, season with salt. Coarsely chop the aubergine flesh, set aside.

Prepare the remaining vegetables: blanch, peel and chop the tomatoes. Finely chop the onion and the red bell pepper. Mince the garlic.

Start cooking: heat the oil in a large frying pan. First add the onion and garlic, than the aubergine flesh and bell pepper. After a few minutes and add the flesh from the tomatoes. Stir to combine and sauté for about 15 minutes (the sauce should start o thicken). Add the lentils, millet, paprika, chilli flakes and herbs. Mix well together. Season with salt and pepper.

In the meantime preheat the oven to 180° C. Fill up the aubergine shells with the stuffing. Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes (they should be soft and golden). Serve with fresh salad.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.
Vegespot.pl - Przepisy wegetariańskie